• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M1 Crab Nebula, Beckenham 23 Nov 2014

Started by The Thing, Nov 25, 2014, 18:32:04

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Processed in DSS as a selection, 36x300s (3hr). Slight gamma and contrast tweak in Irfanview. No sharpening or any other guff, haven't had time to play with it in StarTools and get a 'better than this' version.

Usual kit, Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor, Brightstar OAG, QHY5L-II Mono, PHD2.4, APT 2.5, CdC, Astrotortilla.

Bearing and belt drive mods to the HEQ5 have made an enourmous difference to the level of detail I can get as the mount is really smooth in operation and so guides really well. I got ~+-0.75 arcsec which for London is brilliant.

M1_DSS_Beck_LPS-D1_3 by AstroDunc, on Flickr

MarkH

MarkS

Thanks come out pretty well.  Well done!

Mark

Carole

QuoteI got ~+-0.75 arcsec
Wow, that's really good.

Some nice data there Duncan, also nice star colour.  Could do with a tweak to colour balance and gradient, but the crab itself is looking really good.

Carole

The Thing

Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

Hopefully I will get some time to play with it in StarTools, which when it works works really well but it's a pig to get the settings and processing order right despite the Youtube tutorials.

Fay

Nice to see someone has got something and its  really good as well Duncan!!!!!!

I think it will be galaxy season again before I get out there, never had it so bad!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Looking good Duncan.

StarTools - That's a new one. Not heard of that before. Looks promising.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac