• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC405 - The Flaming Star nebula

Started by RobertM, Nov 23, 2008, 22:26:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This is an interesting nebula that has both an emission and a reflection component illuminated by the star AE Auriga.  It's a very hot young star that is believed to have been ejected from the Great Orion nebula in the recent past.

Taken with a Sky90@f4.5 and Starlight-Xpress SXV-H9, guided ED80 with Atik 16IC (3s guide exposures).

9 x 20min subs with Astronomik 13nm Ha filter

Need to capture some Colour data to bring out the blue reflection nebula as shown in Chris's excellent image.  Also I'm not happy with the focus lower right, it seems the camera may be slightly out of true after bringing it back from the talk last night.   Anyway here it is, comments as always positive or otherwise very welcome.

Full size : http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/3054294048_13dfbd5d92_o.jpg

MarkS

That's a beautiful image Robert.  I'm certainly looking forward to the colour data.

I agree with you about the bottom right.  Certainly looks like some re-alignment is required.

Mark

RobertM

Mark you are right, the collimation is out again, I checked this evening but it clouded over before I could do anything about it :(  Will make sure I tighten those grub screws properly this time.

JohnP

Very nice indeed - great job - John

Daniel

Lovely image Robert, nebulosity looks wonderfully 3d, i've attempted this one a few times but never got it looking as good as I knew it could.

Daniel
:O)