• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another Pacman..

Started by JohnP, Sep 15, 2008, 12:19:49

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

No where near as good as Robert's but was chuffed to be able to do 10min subs for the first time. Seeing was terrible - Full moon, moisture & loads of high cloud. Image represents approx 10X10min subs with atik 16ic through WO ZS66 + 13nm Ha filter.

Cheers,  John

Daniel

Excellent image considering the conditions, I tried a new heart nebula image a couple of days ago under the same conditions and it was a compete washout. also the fact you did 10 min subs under those conditions is amazing, not only was it a pain to guide that night, but I could only manage 3 mins before my images became too saturated with light polution.

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

Well done John.  Incredible image for the conditions.   Can't believe you managed 10min subs.

I'm ashamed to say that I got my stuff half set up last night then decided the conditions were too bad even to do a full moon.

Or maybe you have the same cloud buster that Daniel uses?

RobertM

Hi John,

That's pretty good considering the conditions.

As a suggestion, try doubling the size of each sub then stacking.  I find this helps in most situations and you end up with better detail in the final image.  I managed to get another 30mins of Ha but then the clouds rolled in, as they do then things are going well :(

Robert

JohnP

Thks Daniel - I used a 13nm Ha filter which makes a lot of difference to exposure length even with a full moon - I just checked a raw & even with a 600sec exposure the ADU of brghtest star was approx 50,000 - which means I could have gone longer....

Thks Mark - forgot to say I took this on Saturday evening... It was a bit of a weird experience actually. I just bought myself a new tent for DSC's & tried it out in the garden on Saturday. It was such a nice afternoon that we lit the bbq & ended up sitting outside drinking red wine till it got a bit too cold. It was only then that I realized it was quite clear so I thought what the heck I'll get the astro kit it. All in all it felt like I was down at DSC... :-)

Thks Robert - I will try that - In fact I just noticed that AIP4Win has a X2 upsample button that you can press - it does it all automatically for me. Out of interest do you process the whole image at X2 & then sample back down for final display... or do you upsample - stack & then downsample before processing...?

Thks again,  John

RobertM

I generally flatten, upsample, stack using SD Mask then apply DDP.  If you need a smaller picture then resample down but you may not need to.  I leave most of mine x2 now and process in PS.

MarkS

Quote from: JohnPI took this on Saturday evening

Ah, Saturday.  I remember.  I had just finished a one day 570 mile round trip in a van taking both children plus most of their wordly possessions to their respective Universities.  Too tired to begin imaging ...

Fay

Nice, John, looks like you are on course again!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!