• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Maxim DL correct settings

Started by Fay, Nov 03, 2007, 17:34:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I want to guide & image with the above, but would like to check the correct settings for my cameras etc.

Guide camera= modified webcam/WO ZS66  ---- Imaging camera =SX MX9/SKYWATCHER ED80-----------GPUSB Shoestring
GOTO mount.

I have setup as follows:

SETUP -  Main CCD =   SX Universal       Auto Guider =  Video DS

Guider Setting= GPUSB  (Com Port is greyed out)    Integration=   AVI capture (source blank) at some point along the line this box said Philips Toucam, but that has gone.

Telescope Control= what telescope should I select, as my one is not on the list?

I sure I will be able to work it,  but feel my settings are wrong somewhere.

Thanks,

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

actually, I might be able to help with the telescope bit. If yours isn't on the list, you could pick Ascom. It will then offer another list of telescope mounts supported by Ascom. Yours might be there...

But the question is, if you're using a shoestring guider do you need telescope control as well? Anyone?

Fay

Thanks Ian. Yes I was thinking, as well,  do I need to put information in the telescope control section.

I am going to setup in the garden today & see if i can get it all going ok, obviously I will not have anything to guide on, I will see how I go. I will press Ascom  to see if my scope comes up on it, I will also try not using the telescope selection bit at all as I have the Shoestring.

Fay

Mike

Fay, without looking at your set-up I can't really help. If you are coming on Friday then bring it all along and we will set it up and try it out.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Thanks Mike. I have set up in the garden, but it is impossible to see the laptop.

Fay

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

If you can't even see the laptop, maybe that tree needs pruning again?

Fay

Ha Ha , very funny, although it may as well be an invisible one!

The sky is not going to be good tonight, but I will leave everything up in case I can get a quick shot at the comet. (not literally)

Mike

Do you have a long cable from the camera back to the laptop in the house? Do you have to look at the screen using binoculars? You do realise you can use an extension lead? 

Fay

UUm, I did not think of using an extension lead to the laptop, no. It would mean I would be about 40' away.
I need to be near the setup. So I can see if anything is going on. What do you mean, do I have to use binoculars?

I have the laptop in an open sided box, thinking I would shield it from the light, but it is not good enough.

Mike, you use an ED80, what telescope do you highlight, as no Skywatcher in selection box? Or, do I not have to select a scope when using the Shoestring? I have GPUSB selected in, I think it is options. 

Also, in CCD imaging camera, I think you said SX Universal for the Starlight cameras.

Fay

Mike

Fay,

I have never used Shoestring, I have Maxim and do all my guiding in that so cannot comment.

The stuff about the extension lead and the binoculars was a joke  :roll:

I don't see how what scope would make any difference unless the software is asking for camera type and scope to work out the FOV for some reason.

Bring your SX Camera and laptop on Friday and we will get it working.

Fay

Ok, Mike, I never know when you are serious or joking!!!

So, I don't have to bring the mount & scopes then?

Fay

Mike

No we can use my mount and scopes if it is clear enough to get outside and try it for real. Just to get it running in Maxim we just need your laptop with the software loaded and the camera itself.

Ian

you'll want to take your shoestring box too...

Fay

I will, Ian, & my webcam.

I must try to understand Mike's jokes!!!! (new year resolution)