• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Switching streetlights off late at night, or not...

Started by Carole, Apr 26, 2011, 10:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Not sure how accurate that app would be when it could only measure light levels and not temperature (IR) as in the SQM which uses an MXL90614 IR sensor.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

they would have to turn them off early here as I am in bed by 10 imaging or not!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on May 13, 2014, 19:44:36
they would have to turn them off early here as I am in bed by 10 imaging or not!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lightweight :lol: :lol:

MarkS

Friday night I got a chance to take some measurements.  There was no difference in Sky Quality after 1pm - which was exactly the case at the New Romney DSC.  The orange glow from Maidstone and Ashford did not reduce.  I suspect that Maidstone and Ashford are still waiting for the scheme to roll out.   At least I hope that's the case.  Otherwise it means that the streetlighting concerned is only a tiny part of the overall light pollution problem.

Mark

mickw

QuoteOtherwise it means that the streetlighting concerned is only a tiny part of the overall light pollution problem

It's all those bleedin stars that won't go out - what we need is more clouds  :twisted:

There are complaints about the lights being turned of making grannies feel insecure - I wonder if they sleep with their eyes open  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

A lot could be all the lights left on in shopping centres and office blocks

RobertM

Ah, you must mean Tescos and Canary Wharf  :-?

Fay

MarkH

Has the  " blue dome" never been discussed on the forum before ?

MarkS

Quote from: MarkH
Has the  " blue dome" never been discussed on the forum before ?

Blue dome?

MarkH

Yes look north during darkness during late may, June and early July and you'll notice a blue dome in the sky up to about 25° from the sun illuminating the sky from the other side of the planet.

Rick

When the Sun doesn't get far enough below the horizon to stop it illuminating the highest reaches of the atmosphere even at midnight? Look for definitions of twilight (and "Astronomical Twilight" in particular). If you can detect the difference between the later stages of astronomical twilight and full night then you've got a seriously dark sky.

Ivor

MarkS

The sign looks a bit dark.  Didn't they think to illuminate it?

Ivor