• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guiding

Started by Carole, Apr 05, 2010, 22:38:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Right new thread  :cheesy:

When guiding (PHD) I noticed the star didn't always stay exactly on the green cross but moved slightly from time to time but was always still centred in the green box .  When I say slightly I mean by 3 - 4mm, but the cross stayed Green and it was not making noises to indicate the guiding was off.  It didn't look right to me, but is this normal or is the guiding not working as it should?

I think I had it set on .5 sec or less.  

Carole

MarkS

If the guide star is moving that far from the "crosshairs", it sounds to me like it is not guiding at all or is guiding badly. The movement away from the crosshairs should be barely perceptible.  But in any case, the box will always centre itself on the guide star.

PHD only makes warning noises when the guide star is too dim to guide on (i.e. signal to noise ratio is too low) or if it loses the guide star (i.e. it can no longer find the guide star in the box).

Did the calibration run through OK?

Mark

Carole

QuoteDid the calibration run through OK?

Yes it did, but I did have to move the scope a couple of times when I put the barlow on to get Mars centred, but then re-clicked PHD and green cross hairs came up again. 

Why does everything not work as it's supposed to when I touch it!!!!
I think I'm jinxed.

Any suggestions Mark?

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Carole on Apr 06, 2010, 09:17:32
Why does everything not work as it's supposed to when I touch it!!!!
I think I'm jinxed.

Any suggestions

Carole

Don't touch it!!!!!!!!!  :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

I would have thought getting all equipment set up before starting the guiding would be the right way.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Was Mars close to the star you calibrated on (within a few degrees)?   If not; if you do a calibration then move the scope, you'll upset PHD.

I had another completely clear night last night but I had trouble with my Dec guiding - I need to find a way to better balance the Tak.

Mark

Carole

QuoteWas Mars close to the star you calibrated on (within a few degrees)?   
Pretty close I think, I never really know how to measure degrees. 

QuoteIf not; if you do a calibration then move the scope, you'll upset PHD.
Maybe that was it then, I thought when we were togther sorting out my guiding that you said you didn't need to re-calibrate if you turned it off then on again in the same area of the sky.  Did I misunderstand?

Another thought has crossed my mind which might have affected it, is that I had my ETX (inc Mount) balanced on one end of the side by side bar and the guide scope on the other.  I did move the ETX end of the bar more centre as it is heavy.  Could this have unbalanced things?  Also I forgot to check the counterweight balance.

Carole

MarkS

So Mars was fairly close - that's OK then.  And yes, you understood me correctly if things are roughly in the same area of sky.

Sounds like a technical problem of one sort or another.  I don't think balancing was a problem.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, I think I'll just put it down to "one of those evenings", and hope it works better next time. 

Carole