• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Joining AVIs together for stacking

Started by Carole, Jul 21, 2008, 13:25:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I often read about imagers taking a number of subs and joining them together.

i.e. 3 x 5min subs (for example).

How does one actually do this as when I use Registax it just asks for a file and then processes it.  i.e. How could one process more than one file into the same final image?

Hope you can understand what I mean. 
Might be something that could be mentioned at the imaging workshop Mike.

Carole

Mike

This is nothing to do with AVI's but is referring to stacking of individual images. So 3 x 5 min subs means that 3 seperate images of 5 minutes each were created and then they were averaged (stacked) into a single image to improve the signal to noise ratio.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

So are these images done on a DSLR?

Is there any way then of joining up several AVIs then?

The reason I am asking is because my Laptop does not seem to have a lot of space and I was thinking of taking more than one AVI (not too long each) as I am not sure when it is going to run out.  Rather than taking one long one and it runs out of space half way through.

Carole

Mike

I don't see why you would need to. Registax seperates frames from the AVI into BMP's doesn't it? If not, you could use a tool like Avi2Bmp - http://daansystems.com/freestuff/ - To convert all of the frames from the seperate videos into BMP's and then process all of the BMP's in one go.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Carole - If you want to process multiple avi's of the same subject in Registax just ope them all at the same time - Registax will go through each avi individually (like it normally does) & ask you to confirm the alignment star (object) in each one - then once it's done all the avi's it will just stack them all like they are a single avi...

It's easy - John

Carole

Thanks John I'll give that a go.

I knew there had to be a way, but could not figure out how to do it.

Carole