• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tuesnoad - access to mains?

Started by Fay, Feb 15, 2008, 15:36:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Quote from: JohnP on Feb 16, 2008, 08:24:07
... what's wrong with using batteries...!!!!

They are too heavy to carry [for me at least].  I can't even lift them!!!!

Delphine

JohnP

True Delphine - I'd overlooked that. I would of course be more than happy to assist you carry or taking your batteries down for you if needed..

I just think mains cables drapped everywhere would be a nightmare. The only way I could see it working would be if there was a designated area for the 'mains users' I have enough problems not tripping over the tent ropes (& have done so on quite a few occasions) - the thought of 50m extension leads & damp wet grass scares me. Saying that though it would be useful to have mains during the day for battery charging etc.

Thks,  John

Fay

I was thinking of the battery charging bit, as my battery ran out last time. Mick lent me his.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

But
Laptop power supply = about 2 amp
Mount  ------"------- = about 2 amp
Plug top fuse            = 13 amp
Plus you would also need it to be a long heavy duty lead.
Only 3 people could use it   :(
Pity, it was a nice idea
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

I've got some rigger boots and rubber gloves, i'm sure theres an 11kv feed next to the field, quick tap off of the transformer :afro:
and it will be free.

Fay

The laptop, doing long exposures for around 2 hours hosting a guiding cable, CCD camera & guider camera must take a lot more power, than just viewing thru the telescope.
Then if you have a bad night & are slewing here & there,  the power will not last long especially if it is cold!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I think mains leads trailing around a dark field is an accident waiting to happen - people hurting themselves or kit getting damaged.  However, a "recharging station" for batteries would make sense.

Delphine

Quote from: JohnP on Feb 16, 2008, 10:34:57
True Delphine - I'd overlooked that. I would of course be more than happy to assist you carry or taking your batteries down for you if needed..

I just think mains cables drapped everywhere would be a nightmare. The only way I could see it working would be if there was a designated area for the 'mains users' I have enough problems not tripping over the tent ropes (& have done so on quite a few occasions) - the thought of 50m extension leads & damp wet grass scares me. Saying that though it would be useful to have mains during the day for battery charging etc.

Thks,  John

Many thanks for the offer to carry my batteries John - much appreciated.  I haven't actually bought any batteries yet as I have been practising with my telescope near the back door of my house.  I agree with the concerns about mains electricity at the DSC.  The charging station sounds like a good idea to me

Cheers
delphine

Mike

I will have a chat with Jeff and we will talk to the owner about something, maybe in the ladies loo, for charging batteries.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan