• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing Session - Tonight 11th Dec

Started by Mike, Dec 11, 2007, 16:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Guys,

I am going to go straight to the field at High Elms tonight and cut out the pub to give me time to set up my imaging kit. Looks like it is going to be a really good night. See you there.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I'm very jealous - I can't make tonight.  Have a good time.

P.S. Mike & Jim, thanks for your advice about the need for collimating my C11 - I successfully star-test-collimated it last night.

Rick

...and yet again I end up working late on a potentially good observing night. Hope it goes well.

Mike

Well despite the temperature droppping to -3 Degrees C it was a successful night. We were able to look at all kinds of objects. I took my imaging kit down there to try the challange of finding some asteroids. Jeff just happened to have brought along some imaging details for Ceres and Flora so I imaged those at around 21:00 and we then compared the star field to Jeff's notes and what I could see in The Sky 6 to ascertain which of the dots we thought was Ceres and Flora. Then once we had taken the image at 22:00 we were able to blink compare the two to see the asteroids (minor planets). We were correct as the two dots previously identified had clearly moved a way across the FOV. I quite enjoyed doing that as it was a bit of a challange, especially with numb fingers and a layer of ice across all of the kit.

I will create some animated GIF's of the two asteroids and post them up here when I get a chance.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

You did yeoman service last night, Mike, what with shivering and iced-up fingers.  Well done, and I look forward to seeing your animations.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Well done to you Sir and Madam for suffering the -3 Degrees C temperature and watching the images unfold before your eyes.

Animations are now posted in the 'Astrophotography' section.