• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp December 2007

Started by Miriam, Dec 02, 2007, 14:07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

www.weather.co.uk is now reporting a clear-night up to around 22:00 and then 'partly couldy' from then on - So maybe we will get a bit of observing and imaging in after all :)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Clear sky, maybe, but how well does your set-up cope with 30mph gusts?

Mike

Oh didn't I tell you? I've just bought a Paramount ME on a field pier with a 20" RCOS on top so it will cope just fine.

(NOT!!! I WISH!!)  :roll:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Mike,

Looking at the weather forcast, it looks like rain the whole weekend.  I don't particularly want to come down if it's going to be raining all the time.  I don't mind if there are long breaks.

I also don't want you to put up my tent for nothing.

I think the best thing is for you to wait until Saturday and then see how the weather is. 
I will ring you or Delphine or Miriam and let them know if I am coming on Saturday.

Thanks
Carole

Delphine

Don't ring me at the field Carol I won't be there - I will be elsewhere warm and dry!!!   Planning to be at the next one though.

Mike

Carole,

They are issuing severe weather warnings at the moment for Wales and Scotland due to high winds. We are going to play it by ear ourselves and see what it is like in the morning.

I'm not bothered if it is raining and a bit windy but if it's going to get serious then we will stay at home. Looking at the forecast it doesn't look any worse than any other Deep Sky Camp so unless it gets really bad we will be there :)

Fay

Mike, I am thinking of coming down with some supplies & cameras etc, but will not camp.

Shame we can't have a bit of a party nearer home instead, to cheer us up!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

'ang on, is it gonna be on or off ?
Just sorted out my packing - tent, beer, cider, lager, some weird stuff, sleeping bag, gun, cooker, I've even got a stocking in case Santa comes early or there's "dressing up" .
Even remembered to get the scope ready.
I hope there will be an On/Off post tomorrow before I leave, I can't drink all this stuff myself  :twisted:
I could always share it with the sheep  :lol:
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Quote from: mickw on Dec 06, 2007, 16:59:45'ang on, is it gonna be on or off ?

Depends if you are a real hard core Deep Sky Camper or not. Us real men will be there - not sure about you ;)

mickw

Hah, Sir Knight, the gauntlet has been cast, we shall defeat the dragon together.
Must stop drinking before talking............................................
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

I remember not so long ago, the marquee flying across the field, whilst trying to catch a steak and holding onto a guide rope and turning off the gas, due to the high winds (and Paul hadn't even arrived at this time). This is what camping is all about, come rain, snow or high winds, its about being one with the wilderness (plus it means not doing any DIY). ;)
So come rain or shine I'll be there. :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

OK - I've had a re-think... & decided I'm not hardcore enough.... :-( I'll be down Friday evening hopefully for the forecasted clear skies to do some visual stuff & give Tony a hand with some imaging/ his EOS but I won't be putting up the tent. I'll head back when we have finished up whatever time that might be. Luke needs to be in Bromley early on Saturday anyway & sounds like it's going to be a washout. I may or may not pop down again Sat depending on weather...

Yep... I know call me a Wouzzzz......!

Cheers,  John

MarkS

I expect to arrive between 8 and 8:30 Friday night. 
If it's cloudy I'll erect my tent first: if it's clear, the telescope instead!

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Dec 06, 2007, 18:46:39OK - I've had a re-think... & decided I'm not hardcore enough....

You big poof !  :roll:

MarkS

The "average" of the forecasts this morning is that the sky will clear early Friday evening and the winds will die down.
It will remain mostly clear most of the night  :D with a ground frost but clouding over again maybe just before dawn on Saturday morning. 
Some rain on Saturday and remaining cloudy all day and night. 
Sunday will be very wet and very windy.

See you 20:00-20:30 tonight!