• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp December 2007

Started by Miriam, Dec 02, 2007, 14:07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam

Jeff and I went down to Tuesnoad yesterday to have a look at the field, and to leave some firewood.

The field is fine, the grass is quite short (presumably thanks to the sheep). The top of the field is a bit soft, and Jeff Wright suggests that we use the side gate.

See you all on Friday.   :lol:

Miriam

JohnP

Thanks Miriam - Only hope it's not raining like it has today else we will all ned boats...! John.

Mike

The forecast for Friday and Saturday is rain :(

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Ok thats good news, I don't want to get the caravan stuck, are there any sheep?

Oh and I'm taking the boys down this weekend, so the caravan will have Jim, Alec, Luke and possibly a couple of other kids in it, a total of 6 people in the Piky 2000!

The weather forecast has eased since last week, here my prediction.

Friday Drunk (special golden drink will be purchased), and the skies clear at 2am.
Saturday not drunk (Alec has football on sunday at midday) clear saturday night for 4 hours so I can see the comet and help Jim image it, I'm not taking any imaging kit, can't be bothered.

Sunday clear, perfect 10/10 work on Monday so I have to leave by 8pm to get the caravan home.

Fay

So, is everyone going regardless of the weather???????
Chris, you may have to harness the sheep herd to pull the caravan out!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Miriam & Jeff, that is very good of you to go & inspect the field. What is the side gate? I only know of the top one.

Fay

Chris,

If I disguised myself as Toulouse Latrec, do you think i may pass for a child & get into your warm caravan to sleep unnoticed?

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Dec 03, 2007, 16:00:39So, is everyone going regardless of the weather???????

I'm not really interested in astronomy - I just go for an excuse to be pissed for 3 days.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Astronomy, someone said DSC stand for Drunken Stupor from Cider, :-? so if someone asks did you enjoy DSC, you can say YEAP!!!!!!. ;)
Anyway don't worry about the weather, as long as we have each others company and the wit is flowing, that should be enough to see everyone thorough the weekend, so hopefully everyone will enjoy the weekend come rain or shine. 8)

Tony G

PS plus it means no DIY
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Fay,

QuoteIf I disguised myself as Toulouse Latrec, do you think i may pass for a child & get into your warm caravan to sleep unnoticed?

I looked up a brief history on lautrec on the internet & came across this....

Energetic and bubbly before his accident, Lautrec turned into the violent, obsessive, sexually rampant alcoholic, whose provocative and untameable behaviour alienated and embarrased his class-obsessed family...
Not sure Chris would let you in if you behaved like this......!!!!!

John

Fay

Sounds like the usual DSC!!!!!!!

Fay

And he was a bit on the short side, as well, John!

JohnP

Yep... I gathered that...!!! Something to do with inbreeding & bone disease.... John

Mike

Apparently this website used for rain forecasts for Glider Pilots is 90% accurate.

http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready-bin/jmovie.pl?id=GFS&mdl=grads/gfs/europe&file=panel2&nplts=31

Unfortunately it looks like rain all weekend. Never mind, we have plenty of cider and beer !   :cheesy:

MarkS

There may be a window of cloud-free opportunity some time Friday night.  Check out these cloud cover forecasts:

http://www.meteoblue.com/index.php?id=33&did=33
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=tn26

Trouble is, it all looks rather windy ...

Mike

www.weather.co.uk is now reporting a clear-night up to around 22:00 and then 'partly couldy' from then on - So maybe we will get a bit of observing and imaging in after all :)

MarkS

Clear sky, maybe, but how well does your set-up cope with 30mph gusts?

Mike

Oh didn't I tell you? I've just bought a Paramount ME on a field pier with a 20" RCOS on top so it will cope just fine.

(NOT!!! I WISH!!)  :roll:

Carole

Mike,

Looking at the weather forcast, it looks like rain the whole weekend.  I don't particularly want to come down if it's going to be raining all the time.  I don't mind if there are long breaks.

I also don't want you to put up my tent for nothing.

I think the best thing is for you to wait until Saturday and then see how the weather is. 
I will ring you or Delphine or Miriam and let them know if I am coming on Saturday.

Thanks
Carole

Delphine

Don't ring me at the field Carol I won't be there - I will be elsewhere warm and dry!!!   Planning to be at the next one though.

Mike

Carole,

They are issuing severe weather warnings at the moment for Wales and Scotland due to high winds. We are going to play it by ear ourselves and see what it is like in the morning.

I'm not bothered if it is raining and a bit windy but if it's going to get serious then we will stay at home. Looking at the forecast it doesn't look any worse than any other Deep Sky Camp so unless it gets really bad we will be there :)

Fay

Mike, I am thinking of coming down with some supplies & cameras etc, but will not camp.

Shame we can't have a bit of a party nearer home instead, to cheer us up!

Fay

mickw

'ang on, is it gonna be on or off ?
Just sorted out my packing - tent, beer, cider, lager, some weird stuff, sleeping bag, gun, cooker, I've even got a stocking in case Santa comes early or there's "dressing up" .
Even remembered to get the scope ready.
I hope there will be an On/Off post tomorrow before I leave, I can't drink all this stuff myself  :twisted:
I could always share it with the sheep  :lol:
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Quote from: mickw on Dec 06, 2007, 16:59:45'ang on, is it gonna be on or off ?

Depends if you are a real hard core Deep Sky Camper or not. Us real men will be there - not sure about you ;)

mickw

Hah, Sir Knight, the gauntlet has been cast, we shall defeat the dragon together.
Must stop drinking before talking............................................

Tony G

I remember not so long ago, the marquee flying across the field, whilst trying to catch a steak and holding onto a guide rope and turning off the gas, due to the high winds (and Paul hadn't even arrived at this time). This is what camping is all about, come rain, snow or high winds, its about being one with the wilderness (plus it means not doing any DIY). ;)
So come rain or shine I'll be there. :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

OK - I've had a re-think... & decided I'm not hardcore enough.... :-( I'll be down Friday evening hopefully for the forecasted clear skies to do some visual stuff & give Tony a hand with some imaging/ his EOS but I won't be putting up the tent. I'll head back when we have finished up whatever time that might be. Luke needs to be in Bromley early on Saturday anyway & sounds like it's going to be a washout. I may or may not pop down again Sat depending on weather...

Yep... I know call me a Wouzzzz......!

Cheers,  John

MarkS

I expect to arrive between 8 and 8:30 Friday night. 
If it's cloudy I'll erect my tent first: if it's clear, the telescope instead!

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Dec 06, 2007, 18:46:39OK - I've had a re-think... & decided I'm not hardcore enough....

You big poof !  :roll:

MarkS

The "average" of the forecasts this morning is that the sky will clear early Friday evening and the winds will die down.
It will remain mostly clear most of the night  :D with a ground frost but clouding over again maybe just before dawn on Saturday morning. 
Some rain on Saturday and remaining cloudy all day and night. 
Sunday will be very wet and very windy.

See you 20:00-20:30 tonight!

JohnP

QuoteYou big poof !

Cheers Mike mate - I appreciate that - not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be...:-)

CU later....

Mike

Morning Happy Campers !!!

Look at this glorious sunshine we are having on our first day of Deep SKy Camp. I look forward to seeing you all down the field later today for a beer :)

Rocket Pooch

Well I'm a bigger poof, the road forecast looks real iffy for towing a caravan on Sunday so I'll be visiting tonight with our leader and comming back on Sunday!  Saturday I have the Kids, 4 of them!

So bring it on, I'm woosing out even with a caravan!

Tony G

Tony G

Only joking :lol:
See you all there later.

Tony G

mickw

So..............
It's not cancelled then..................
Better start packing then.................

I need a beer

Mike

Quote from: mickw on Dec 07, 2007, 09:50:11Better start packing then.................I need a beer

Nice to see there's at least one real man amongst you - See you later !!

Rocket Pooch

Ok I'll bring the van then!

You drive a hard bargain Mr Beeblebrox.

Carole

Mike, am I assuming you are on-line down at DSC?  Sounds like it.

As you say the weather is not as predicted today and so I will wait until tomorrow to make a decision and let you know what I am doing.

I want to come provided it is not bucketing down all the time.

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on Dec 07, 2007, 10:47:35
Nice to see there's at least one real man amongst you - See you later !!

OK, OK, remind me NOT to pitch my tent near Mike's :lol:

Tony G

PS can someone explain to me how you become a REAL MAN whilst camping. :-?

Mike

Quote from: Carolepope on Dec 07, 2007, 12:29:13Mike, am I assuming you are on-line down at DSC?  Sounds like it

Nope. We haven't left yet. Going in about an hour.

Mike

Quote from: Tony G on Dec 07, 2007, 12:32:35PS can someone explain to me how you become a REAL MAN whilst camping. :-?

Bessy the sheep will show you later ;)