• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Diamond Synchrotron - Open Day - 13th November

Started by Mike, Aug 25, 2010, 11:44:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

This sounds like it might be an interesting day out. Anybody fancy it?

Inside Diamond - Public Open Day

Inside Diamond is a series of public events, welcoming visitors to Diamond to meet our scientists, find out about the exciting work taking place here, and have a tour of the synchrotron itself.

The next Inside Diamond event will take place on the 13th November 2010. Please fill in the form below to express your interest in attending, and you will be informed when booking opens.

Diamond is a particle accelerator which uses a beam of electrons travelling at almost the speed of light to create intense, powerful beams of light. We use this light to study the atomic and molecular structure of materials – everything from viral proteins to engine parts and ancient texts – to help scientists understand more about the way the world works.

This visit will take approximately 2 hours and will consist of :

* An introductory talk
   * A guided tour - including a trip to see inside the synchrotron and our laboratories - please note that extensive walking will be involved;
   * An opportunity to talk to Diamond employees and ask them about their work and the facility;
   * A chance to view artwork done in collaboration with the local community, displays and animations of the synchrotron.

There are several starting times for the visit, but due to the wide range of visitors that we receive the content of each session will be tailored for different groups, typically:

* 9:30am, 11:00am and 2:00pm:
     Talks/Tours for the general public.
   * 12:30am:                                      
     Talks/tours aimed at a family audience (for those of you planning to bring children between 5-12 years this talk may be more suitable)

Please note that these are recommendations, please feel free to request tickets for any of the sessions.

Due to the nature of the facility we can only accommodate a limited number of visitors and to ensure that many families can partake we limit tickets to 5 per booking. However if you would like to bring groups of 6 or more then please contact us to discuss requirements.

Advice/Restrictions:

* Due to the size of the facility, during the guided tour there will be extensive walking involved, we advise all visitors to wear comfortable footwear.
   * Due to the nature of the facility we do not admit visitors under the age of 5 and a minimum age of 10 years is recommended.
   * We have very few restrictions due to health or mobility issues, although we ask you to tell us of any special requirements during registration.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Sounds like a good day out .... I'm interested
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

They are now taking bookings:-

https://booking.event-connections.co.uk/dl1008/booktype1/booking1_simple.asp?

If we want to go as a group we will have to pick a time and book quickly.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Mike

If anyone is still interested, I have just received this......

I am writing to you as you have expressed an interest in bringing a group to visit us here at Diamond Light Source.

We had hoped to show visitors round at our regular Inside Diamond days, however the amount of interest has far outstripped the number of visitors that we can accommodate. So I apologise if you have been waiting for some time to bring a group or for a reply.

With this in mind we are arranging a limited number of evening visits which will take place on every second Thursday of each month, starting on December 9th (then Jan 13th, Feb 10th, Mar 10th – at present we do not wish to make bookings beyond this date, but if you wish to visit later in 2011 do let me know). The visits would consist of a talk about the facility and a tour, although where we will have access to will depend on the operational activity at the time.

The visit would take approximately 1.5-2hrs and we would be relatively flexible with regards to start time (after 5pm).

There is also the still the opportunity to bring a group to one of our Inside Diamond days. There is still some space on March 26th (9.30am) or June 11th (9.30am, 11am, 12.30pm (family session), 2pm).

If you wish to bring a group to one of these sessions please let me know which date you would prefer in order of preference, what time you would like to start and how many guests you intend to bring. The maximum group size we can accommodate is 20.

I hope this is helpful and that we will be able to accommodate you,

Kind regards,

David

Dr David Price
Diamond Light Source

Mike

I was lucky enough to visit the Diamond Synchotron on Saturday with London Hackspace. It is well worth a visit. The place is amazing. They are doing some more tours next year so I think we should definitely organise an OAS Trip.

Ian

Thanks Mike, well add this for consideration. Hows it like to get to and park etc?

Mike

Took about an hour and a half to drive there. They have a car park on site for visitors.