• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead at UDSC

Started by MarkS, Oct 18, 2009, 18:18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here's a preview of my latest attempt at the picture that refuses to be taken - it was taken just before dawn this morning:

Details: H-alpha modified Canon EOS 350D on Celestron C11 with F6.3 focal reducer and CLS filter to cut out the residual light pollution at Blacklands.

I did 12 ten minute exposures but only 7 were usable because of drift, flexure or mirror shift - I'm not sure which.  Ambient temperature was 2-3C which suits the DSLR well but the seeing was not very good.

Here is the full-frame image 3x3 binned but with no darks or flats applied yet:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/horse18102009.jpg

Mark

Tony G

Mark,

Excellent image, and worth staying up for, in weather that would freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
When I made a brief appearance from the tent this morning at 6.03am (I can read the stars well, now), and saw the 2 laptops still running, thoughts of Scott's trip to the Antartic flashed through my mind, and I thought I could see a frozen astronomer lifeless in the chair, so I was surprised when I called out and got a reply, and a small shadowy figure approached and said he had been up all night. Well fair play to you, and it's been worth it, I think. Congratulations.
I still think personally that weird french s**t played a big part in it.  ;)

They are not diffraction spikes on the LHS of the image, are they?  :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Whitters

Mac

Carole

Excellent Mark, you have huge determination, not to mention stamina to stay up all night in freezing weather to do this.

Carole

Mike

Really nice Mark. All that effort has paid off.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Well done Mark, you can stay awake when you want to!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Wonderfull image Mark, can't wait to see this once the flats have been applied, you've got so much detail in there!

Can't beat late sessions!

Daniel
:O)

Rocket Pooch

Not bad at all :-)  Worth the hypathermia?

or however you spell it?

JustCruzin

Just so that I look intelligent....

It is actually hypOthermia!

I'm real jealous- great imaging!

RobertM

Whatever the spelling, that's a very good result.

But Mark what is it with you and Alnitak ? is that star forever destined to be your nemesis !

MarkS

Here is version 2:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/horse18102009v2.jpg

I've applied darks & flats. I've only 2x2 binned this (instead of 3x3) because the image can almost take it.  Still a bit of vignetting in the corners and still a amp glow splodge in the bottom right.  The amp glow is because I took the darks at a different temperature but I think I can adjust the flats to compensate for this (in version 3!).

The diffraction spikes from Alnitak are very annoying but I don't want to surgically remove them.

Mark

Daniel

Mark, that's looking excellent! I've been waiting for you to post a version of this with flats and darks applied and it hasn't dissapointed.

Every image you post makes me start to re-think my position on buying a CCD camera next year!

Shame about the diffractions spikes, Might be worth doing a mosaic with the flame and getting Alnitak in there to give the spikes context.

Daniel
:O)

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Alnitak has a very special thing going on, it actually has lines comming across it in blue, John and I noticed it in Les Granges last year.  Don't confude these with diffraction spikes err Spagetti Hoops.

Chris

MarkS

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.  I'm certainly very pleased with what the DSLR achieved on this one.

I think there are 3 possible factors that gave improvements over my previous attempts at the Horsehead:
1) As an experiment, I used a CLS filter even though the sky was already relatively dark.  This reduced background noise still further.
2) The cold night reduced the thermal noise.
3) I used 10 minute subs instead of 5 minute. Long exposures make sense when the background+thermal noise combined is low.

I will analyse the data in more detail.

But next time I want really excellent seeing as well!

Mark

MarkS

The Thing

Lovley pic. Is that a ring nebula towards the top centre?