• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Computer keeps losing the correct time

Started by Fay, Jun 07, 2012, 08:39:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Oh dear, i have been advised that it is the computer battery, that could be no good. Been reading up on changing it, but seems a bit of a nightmare!

Have to go into BIOS & write down all the settings etc etc etc.
Has anyone else had to do this? What causes the battery to suddenly go dead?

It is the minutes that are never right, the hour seems ok. It adjusts for daylight saving & auto synchronisation is on
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

If this is your new laptop, it shouldn't be the battery.
If it is the battery, the hours would be wrong as well not just the minutes.

Sorry no suggestions
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

The Thing

What are you comparing the PCs time to? The most accurate thing is a GPS unit should you have one. I set my watch from the BBC Radio 4 pips about once a week (NOT from a DAB radio as they are delayed by a couple of seconds).

Also do you have Windows set to automatically update the time from timeservers on the web? If not (it should be the default) then the minutes will drift, PC clocks aren't that wonderful. If yes then I'd blame Bill Gates :)

Fay

yes got all that set up Duncan. never knew there was a battery in there until today!

I will open the side up today, bit wary as the words "electric shock" from the case has come to mind, and if there is an ES to be had, I WILL FIND IT!!!!

Fay

well have changed the battery. hope all will be well now