• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M16 from Les Granges Ha only

Started by Carole, Aug 19, 2013, 13:36:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Not very happy with this one.  Could not get DSS to stack it at all, and Nebulosity would only stack one of 2 evenings on this object.  Plus the FOV was very large so definition not very good (this is a crop).  Focus looks out, but it was very low at FWHM around 1.71

Anyway for what it's worth for completeness (1 more image to post) 7 x 600secs Ha only Atik11000
Tak FSQ106N and Mount Tak EM200 Baader filter

Carole

Well I am astounded.

After using Astroart with Olly (though he did the stacking), I decided to download the demo version to see how I would get on with it.  The demo version does not save, but I did a screen shot of the result, and even working with 8bit and Jpeg the result is much better than with DSS.  This is only one night's image.

Any-one know how much Astroart costs?  (Ivor?)

Larger file
http://www.astrobin.com/uploads/3da6c0c1-b101-49a4-b727-2949bee2bdc7.jpg

Rocket Pooch

AstroArt is about £99 I think I bought a license last year.

JohnP

Carole

Yup I was joking.  I think I am sold on this - just need to find the money.

Can't believe the difference.  Mike please post 2nd image for members images not the first pile of X%&$££

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Mike

Astroart is pretty nice but I found it couldn't handle large files and kept crashing (even on my desktop which has 32Gb of RAM) when I tried it about 6 months ago. No idea if they've fixed that since though.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

The second version looks very good.

Nice one!

Tony will like it because it's greyscale.

Mark