• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Switching streetlights off late at night, or not...

Started by Carole, Apr 26, 2011, 10:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Lucky you, they are turning all your roads' streetlights off! You should try and record some sky darkness measurements over the next few months as they implement the switch off. It's odd that Bethersden appears to have no streetlights despite being on the A28.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Quote from: mickw on May 11, 2014, 12:59:57
What's a street light ?

:)

:) :) :)

If you are about Wednesday Mick I may pop in with your charger (another covert mission) :evil:

Tony G

PS sorry to hi jack this thread......it will not happen again. :oops:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

QuoteIf you are about Wednesday Mick I may pop in with your charger (another covert mission)

I'll be here purple penguin - any further communication should be on our personal network in case the plan is jeopardized  ;) 8)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

ApophisAstros

i have always wondered why some motorways donot have street lights ie ok to drive at 70 mph in the dark but not ok to drive at 30mph in town.
where i work the locals were asked to vote on whether to have streetlights at all , hence no street lights in a lot of areas, as
a result lower council tax for them.shame everywhere is not asked.
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
You should try and record some sky darkness measurements over the next few months as they implement the switch off.

Definitely - it'll be quite interesting.

Tony G

Quote from: RogerN on May 11, 2014, 17:18:48
i have always wondered why some motorways donot have street lights ie ok to drive at 70 mph in the dark but not ok to drive at 30mph in town.

I think the reason is to see the pedestrians in the built up areas usually 30mph zones as well as obstacles like parked vehicles, islands, potholes, etc, as there are not too many on the motorways,  ;) (with the exception of the M25 for pedestrians, as sometimes it maybe quicker to walk. :cheesy:)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

You lucky people living in these areas, but at least it gives us more DSC choices and better skies.

Carole

Kylee

I'm in Dartford and ours all go out at 0100 until 0530.....it's been like that for a month now  :D

RobertM

Seriously, it's 1am and you find yourself in the garden without a torch and a copy of your favourite paper (as one does).  The street lights are off, due to some mislead nutcases (astronomers and country folk and the like), and you want to read said paper- you're in a bit of a pickle aren't you !  Us townies don't need a torch, we can read the paper anytime, in fact if it gets any brighter we'll be needing sunglasses at night too 8) :!

Where's the green with envy emoticon when you need one  :!

MarkS

Robert, don't worry, if it's anytime near full moon you can sit in a deckchair in the garden and read the paper - both in town and country.  I know - I've just been out and tried it (between clouds).

Generally, at home, my SQM readings increase by approx 0.25 between late evening and early morning - I guess this is as people switch lights off.  At Rother Valley and Kelling Heath, I've noticed a more pronounced effect - an increase of between 0.3-0.4

It'll be interesting to see if I now record a greater difference following the midnight/1am switch off.  Maidstone and Ashford account for a large part of my skyglow and it appears that large numbers of streetlights there will be switched off.

Mark

RobertM

I recently got 15.71 on my iphone app - not very good I don't suppose :(

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
I recently got 15.71 on my iphone app - not very good I don't suppose :(

Which app is it?

RobertM

DSM - dark sky meter

So far I think it's a little optimistic but at least it stands a chance of giving me relative readings.