• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging the moon

Started by Miriam, May 17, 2008, 16:22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam

Thank you to Mike and Duncan for their expert advice at last week's imaging session, enabling me to capture an image of the moon. :P
It is now on the gallery (although it is probably beyond me to set up a link so we can see it here!)

I followed Rick's instructions, but it seems to be blocked on my computer  - more expert advice required, please . . .

(I've fixed your link. You'd given the .html link for the page, not the link for the actual image. Mick's explained below. -- Rick)

mickw

Nice one Miriam  :)

I'm not one to read instructions, but this works (I hope)

In the Gallery, "Right Click" on the image you want to post and select "Properties"
You will see "Address (URL)"
Click and hold to the left of "http// etc" and drag the cursor down to highlight all of the address (some of it is hidden if you don't drag down).
This will highlight the full address - Right click on the highlighted text and select copy.
Now, back to the forum.
In your message, select the "Insert Image icon", middle row left, this should put "img" twice in brackets with a cursor flashing between them, just right click on the flashing cursor and select "Paste"

It takes a hell of a lot longer to explain than to actually do it   :)

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

Good one, Miriam. Glad you managed to upload it to the gallery.

I fixed the link above.

While I was fixing things I took the liberty of replacing your .bmp with a .jpg as the difference in size is significant; about 30K for the .jpg, and over 900K for the .bmp...

Fay

That is really nice Miriam, not heard from you for a while, glad you haven't given up.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Is that your first image Miriam?  How did you do it?

Rocket Pooch

RobertM

TonyB

Great image Miriam! Hope to see some more.

TonyB

Tony G

Great that you sorted all your problems out, and so we'll expect to see many more images like this. ;)
Keep up the good work.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Duncan was the one that mainly sorted out your issues, but I am glad you finally got it all up and running. Great image and I look forward to seeing many more.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Well done Miriam, nice to see you are still imaging.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: MarkS

Is that your first image Miriam?  How did you do it?

I've just answered my own question - you've put the details in the gallery - an SPC900 webcam on a Williams Optics scope.

Well done!

Miriam

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments!
Next step for me, do another image without any help.   :o

Do I just need to 'save as' a .jpg?

Rick

It's not enough just to change the suffix, but I would expect there's an option somewhere which will allow you to choose the format you'll use to save the image.

Generally JPEG (.jpg) or Portable Network Graphic (.png) are good formats for putting on websites, but FITS or TIFF are better if you're planning to re-process the image later.

Anyone care to give a run-down of the format options available in particular programs?

JohnP

Well done Miriam - Nice image - hopefully see lots more now that you are up & running.

So Carole - how RU getting on with your imaging....?

John