• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 with Sony A7

Started by RobertM, Feb 14, 2015, 14:57:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Feb 17, 2015, 18:56:25
I thought BYE supported the camera?

I don't think so, that's for Canon EOS cameras.

Mike

Robert why did you choose a Sony camera?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Hi Mike,

It was the particular camera that interested me.

1) Full frame
2) mirrorless so no mirror box shadows
3) exceptional ISO performance (I can see the trapezium and surrounding nebulosity in live view).
4) in camera apps that mean less reliance on a computer.
5) no back focus issues with almost any lens.
6) no stupidly small pixels.

And more importantly, it came in at a good price converted.

Robert

The Thing

Quote from: Fay on Feb 17, 2015, 18:56:25
I thought BYE supported the camera?

I think all software is about to start supporting the Sonys, but BYE has a Nikon version at present but not Sony.

RobertM

This is a link to the full size (after cropping), the one originally posted is a flickr resized version.

<link>https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7381/16527691905_ac64ce0365_o.jpg</link>

Mike

Absolutely stunning.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

That is amazing Robert - are all the little light coloured bits (all over the image) jpeg compression artifacts...?

RobertM

John, that's me being careless with deconvolution and noise reduction - I got both a bit wrong !  Some may be faint stars but not that many.

Robert

MarkS

I've just compared it with an old one of mine:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2008/m42_2008.html

Yours has got far more detail in it - better colouring as well.  I suspect my guiding wasn't much good though - guiding with a Philips Toucam back then!

Mark