• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 with Sony A7

Started by RobertM, Feb 14, 2015, 14:57:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Severe vignetting meant I had to crop nearly half the frame but it was half expected due to the crappy adaptor.

M42, from Orpington
59 x 60s
ISO 2500
Baader L-Booster filter
GSO 10" RC at f/8
Basic processing in PI to gauge the attempt.

MarkS

That has come out very nicely indeed.  An excellent first light for the camera and very nicely processed.  The camera really looks like it will be a great full-frame performer with its excellent sensor. I'm very tempted by it's smaller sibling, the A6000 (which is much cheaper!).

When did you get a clear night for this?

Mark

Kenny

The image looks fantastic Robert.

RobertM

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 14, 2015, 15:13:09
When did you get a clear night for this?

Mark
Sunday 8th.

Edit.  It's a long way from being processed correctly but at least it shows promise.

MarkS

Did you process it as a single HDR image - i.e. none of the Photoshop overlaying mullarky?

RobertM

I used PI for the whole process but wished I'd done it properly with calibration frames and processed it carefully after having seen how it turned out.  For the HDR I think I just increased to layers to 8 or 9, everything else was default.  The output from the stack was surprisingly clean so only a little NR was applied to counter the deconvolution.

Robert

Kenny

What language are you speaking because it's not one I recognise. ;) :D

The Thing

For a test run I think this is a really nice result .
There must be a high dynamic range available even at ISO 2500 as you've nearly been able to reveal the Trapezium without recourse to shorter subs.

RobertM

Quote from: Kenny on Feb 14, 2015, 23:04:51
What language are you speaking because it's not one I recognise. ;) :D
PI = PixInsight astro processing software
HDR = high dynamic range
NR = Noise reduction.

You'll be speaking da lingo soon enough ;)

Duncan,
Thanks, the trapezium was visible in the 30s subs so perhaps that was a better length.  The histogram was well up as you can imagine so I could certainly try that next time.

Robert

Carole

Very nice test image Robert.

Carole

Fay

Very nice Robert, how is the Sony with computer software etc? did you use BYE or APT or capture just using the camera?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Well that looks pretty amazing to me for 60 sec subs - I'd be really interested to see a single 60sec sub (warts & all) full size without the crop...

John

RobertM

Fay,  I used one of those cheap timer things that plug into the accessory port so capture was to SD card.  There won't be much software support for automated capture till APT version 3 is out and even then it's not guaranteed.

John, will do but it will be a JPEG, I can make a Sony 'RAW' available if needed.

Robert

RobertM

The full size JPEG can be found here: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8598/16375138830_4ea85850ca_o_d.jpg

A 2.5" field flattener came with the scope; I'll use that as soon as the focuser adaptor arrives from Telescop Service.

Robert

Fay

I thought BYE supported the camera?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!