• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette - Saturday Night..

Started by JohnP, Mar 07, 2010, 19:52:22

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Did this Saturday night - never imaged before - It's quite a interesting object - loads going on in it. Shame my FOV only gets the middle. Image details 22X5mins Ha with ZS66 - Atik 16ic. Also attached inverted image showing all the nebula fronts/ star forming regions.

Is it me or can I see CP3O's face in the middle....?

John.

Fay

You are funny John, certaininly looks like C3PO!

I like Rosette, there really is a lot going on, enough for a few separate images. Looking good!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Fay - Yep I must try & Mosaic surrounding area....

QuoteCP3PO!
..... You've got an extra P........!

Fay

don't like to get his name wrong! :lol:

Mac

cant see c3po, but i can see the scream, in the negative.

Carole

One of my favourite targets, looking forward to seeing a mosaic John. 

It's interesting to see such close detail, as before this I had thought the dark lines (bottom right) were gaps/cracks in the nebula, but they are clearly darker matter in the foreground, and I never before noticed CP30. 

Carole

Mike

Really nice image John. Lots of detail and nice round stars.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

That's an excellent image John.  With that quality of data you could possibly enhance the contrast a bit more but it looks really good as it is.  Any chance of adding OIII or SI ?

Robert

JohnP

Thks Mac, Carole, Mike & Robert for comments.

It was one of those strange nights - I hadn't imaged in over 3 months yet everything just worked. Put my mount in normal place on grass (three small impression marks still there from last time) & polar alignment was about 1mm off through reticule... Hooked everything up & all cameras worked first time. Did one star alignment to Betelguese & as near as damn it bang in middle of CCD (& FOV on my setup is small..) Used K3 for guiding & worked flawlessly for whole session - in fact I would say just about best guiding I have ever had - I think Max pixel movement over whole of image was less than 2px in either RA or DEC.

I started early because I have limited time to see Rosette from my garden... I was all packed up & back in doors with glass or Red by 9.00pm (after just on 2hrs of subs). I didn't even take darks or flats...

Guess that'll be it for the year now & I'll be plagued with issues.... :-(

Anyway - minimal processing on imaging - just a quick stack & stretch - I hope to get some more frames of surrounding area next time out & try & do mosaic - will process more carefully then..

Cheers for comments - John

RobertM

QuoteI was all packed up & back in doors with glass or Red by 9.00pm (after just on 2hrs of subs). I didn't even take darks or flats...
8)

I wish we all had it that easy ...

Tony G

Good to see you back out, even if it was for only 2 hrs. Look at what you could do with with a weekend down at Blacklands.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Mr. G - Speak to you later in week - John

JohnP

Quoteyou could possibly enhance the contrast a bit more

Here you go...just a tad otherwise noise & stars size start to increase.....

Fay

MarkS

John,

Great to see an image from you again!  And that one is a great image - excellent detail there and nice round stars.

Mark