• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dark sky stargazers

Started by Tony G, Jan 31, 2011, 15:11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

The British public are being asked to take part in a national experiment.
The Campaign to Protect Rural England, and The Campaign for Dark Skies want people to look up at Orion - one of the most recognisable constellations in the winter night sky - and count the stars they see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12292852

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Has there actually been an item on the news about this ?

It's pretty good timing after the Stargazing Live thing
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Daniel

That'll be 7 for me then! :P

Tony G

Where is Orion :!

I'd be lucky to see the moon. :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

PhilB

Perhaps we should all move to Sark - it's been designated as the worlds first dark sky island by the IDSA
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rick

Quote from: PhilB on Jan 31, 2011, 18:13:15
Perhaps we should all move to Sark - it's been designated as the worlds first dark sky island by the IDSA

Ah yes. The BAA had something to say on that:

[BAA-ebulletin 00559] Sark the World's First Dark Sky Island

Sark, one of the Channel Islands, has been made the world's first Dark Sky Island by the International Dark Sky Association.

This follows a great deal of hard work by Steve Owens and the islanders.

As one of the two IDA assessors, I found the island to be most suitable for astronomy as the residents were committed to protecting the night sky.  It was interesting to note the high quality of seeing on the island during our visit.

The story can be found in the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/31/sark-first-dark-sky-island?INTCMP=SRCH

Martin Morgan-Taylor
CfDS Committee Member
IDA Board Member and Chair, International Committee

MarkS

Stopped on Blackheath on my cycle-ride home and counted. 
I made it 10 because I could see the sword.
Got home to Sidcup and it was still 10 :(

mickw

After 1/2 hour managed 13  :-?

Rick

More from the BAA last night (also posted in the alerts section of the forum):

[BAA-ebulletin 00560] The 2011 Orion Star Count week starts tonight

Tonight is the first night of the 2011 Orion Star Count week. The count is organised by the BAA Campaign for Dark Skies and the Campaign to Protect Rural England and it is a way for everyone to get involved in helping to measure the extent of light pollution in the UK. Details of the count are here:

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/starcount/

Please take some time this week to have a look at Orion during any convenient clear spell and submit your count via the website.

Submitted by Nick James on behalf of John Mason
BAA Press and Publicity Officer

The link above includes instructions about which stars to count (basically, within the area bounded by, but not counting the for corner stars of Orion), and provides a form for submitting observations.

RobertM

Nights aren't good these days due to that bloody Tescos in Orpington! even so I managed to see 9.

Tony G

Robert,

From a company point of view, that TESCO's is a lovely building.  ;)

Tony G

RobertM

Quote from: Tony G on Feb 01, 2011, 11:47:29
Robert,

Tony G

Tell me about it !!!

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Tony G on Feb 01, 2011, 11:47:29
Robert,

Tony G

Stone the corporate heretic.

Tony G

Well, where would we be without TESCO...................

Oh yeah! probably Sainsbury's or Marks & Sparks.  ;)

Tony G

PS.................There is rumours, and I say only rumours, that we are building a hypermarket at Newenden.  :o

mickw

:!

Stone the heretic - Stone the heretic