• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My first ever M42!

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 07, 2004, 00:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

This is my first ever M42, taken with the 80mmF5 scope and consists of 25 1sec, 20 8sec & 3 20sec stacks, combined in Photoshop, I did not remove a flat mask so I've cropped about 30% of the image out.

This was taken using the SAC8 with no filters, I even forgot to put the IR on :sad:

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2004-11-06 17:05 ]

JohnP

Hi Chris - Nice image - I know M42 has always been something you wanted to capture. Could you possibly post one each of the the 1, 8, 20 sec Raws - I like to have a look at what magnitudes you were able to image to with the various exposures.

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Ok

1 Second stack

8 Second stack

20 Second stack

Whitters

Hi Chris,
Images are looking good I love the apostrophe that is M43. Do you know what is causing the dark shadows on the bright stars? Is it a processing artefact?

Rocket Pooch

This is old school, but the shadow is actually from the camera, it transmits to the control box in RF and obviously the control box is not tunes in :smile:  I must see if there's something I can do about it.

See ya

JohnP

Thks - I love the nebulosity in the 8 & 20sec images - We will have to try & get a few colour images with the TouCam & see if we can combine - I'm sure it would look very impressive - John

Rocket Pooch

it looks like it will be clear tonight and saturday so I'll be out as usual.