• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Leo Triplet

Started by Fay, Mar 31, 2009, 20:21:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

This was 3x480secs, 11x300 secs, Atik 314L/WO ZS66, 0.8 fr, cls filter. I am not that happy with this. I know it has a gradient, but when I use Gradient Exterminator I get a stripey effect. There is coma bottom left. I have not done enough subs & wish I had used the ED80.

But, will have another go trying for 600 secs subs. I have tried various ways of stacking this to see which is best. With darks without, with bias, without. This has orginal darks & bias frames included.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Fay,

That's a great image!  You're getting as bad as I am - never pleased with your own handiwork. 

Yes, it's got a slight gradient but that is no problem.  the image is very well framed and well balanced.  It's true that with the ED80 you would be closer and get more detail but on the other hand the galaxies would be very close to the edges and the overall composition might not look so good.

Mark

Fay

Thanks a lot Mark Oh for the days when I was happy with a webcam image & used to do about 5 in one night!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

JohnP

Fay - You know what I already think of this but just to recap:

1) Lovely focus (don't know why you bought the Robo thing)
2) Lovely FOV
3) Gradient left to right (I have sent a msg to Russell Crowman asking why you got the diagonal bands & will let you know what he says)
4) A little noisey

I think this is a very nice image myself - Add a few more hours of L & some RGB & it'll be a winner...

Very nice,  John

Fay

That is kind of you John. Wonder what Russell will say.

I am going to have a go with the ED80 tonight, 600 secs

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Wonder what Russell will say.

I think Russell Crowman will say he is a gladiator with a beautiful mind and both a master and commander of processing.  Your complaint is a body of lies which is all a mystery alaska, to which the solution is (L. A.) confidential.  Luckily this is a good year so he'll just send the American gangster round on the 3:10 to Yuma for a bit of rough magic and breaking up, leaving you either quick or dead.

Fay

You are very sharp today, Mark   :lol:

JohnP

Damn I'm sure I've done that typo before.... anyway what's a "W" between friends......!   :oops: :oops:

Ps - Mark - You have just bought back wonderful memories of lounging it in front of a roaring log fire in Riberac (I won't mention how many matches it took you to light it...) drinking good red wine & eating fine French cheese watching me old mate Russell Crowman on DVD...

Mike

Really nice images Fay.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I reprocessed this in Maxin DL & think it is better than the first one.

Daniel

Whoa, wonderfull re-process, your becoming a processing ninja! you've really balanced out those galaxy centers nicely!

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Thanks Daniel. I am looking at everything & redoing now! :lol: :lol: :lol: don 't get in my way or you may get a makeover :lol: :lol:

RobertM

Wow Fay, that really is an excellent bit of reprocessing.  I'll certainly be keeping well out of your way while you're doing those old images ...

Fay

Thanks Robert! Don't want to airbrush you!

JohnP

Looks like you are really getting to grips with DDP.... excellent... Yoiu need to start adding RGB to all these images...

Fay

Thanks John. I find the late starts difficult, so would have to be prepared to be up all night for RGB. It would be nice to do

JohnP

you can image the same subject over more than one night... :-) You can also normally bin RGB if you have good l so all the faster..