• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sun Mosaic 4th March 2013

Started by Carole, Mar 06, 2013, 23:39:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I don't often do the Sun as I find it really tricky, plus can never be bothered to de-rig the mount to put the PST on, but I happened to acquire a spare mount which gave me the opportunity and on Monday a had a good "go" at it.  I know it has some imperfections and I think I need to use a barlow next time to improve the resolution, but I think it is my best effort so far.

Mosaic of approximately  6 panes
Captured on 4th March

PST, DMK21, CG5 GT

Back garden, Captured in sharpcap
Processed in Registax and Photoshop CS3

MarkS

That's a great result Carole!

What do you mean by "approximately 6 panes"?

Do you mean it might have been 5 or 7 instead but you can't be sure even though you've just finished the processing?  :cheesy:

Mark

Mike

That's really good Carole.

Isn't the DMK21 a mono camera?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

julian

Nice image Carole.
I can just make out 5 panes.

Carole

Thanks Mike, yes I was advised by some regular solar imagers on UKAI to image the Sun in Mono and add false colour, so that's what I did, and I remember now they also advised me to use a barlow (which I forgot), gosh that will mean a mosiac of even more panes.  

Hi Mark, I combined top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right, but also added about two or three others into the mix as there were some dust bunnies I needed to remove.  because I flattened the image as I went along I lost count.  

I also did some images for the prominences, but I don't think I did a good job of it and as I didn't finish until around 11pm last night, thought I would leave them until I get back from IOW (if they are any good).

Carole

Carole

QuoteI can just make out 5 panes.
Thanks Julian, well in that case it must be six because I did one area twice as there was a bit I was not happy with. 

Carole

Mike

Carole I've noticed you very rarely provide a link to the full sized image. Any chance you can do that with your images please? Thanks.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I don't really have a full size link Mike, I linked this straight from my website.  Only way I could get a full size is if I upload it to the gallery.  To be honest because I didn't use the barlow the resolution full size is not that great.

N.B. I have replaced the original image as I missed a bit on the sky background when I had to re-darken it after colorising the Sun.

Full size link added (whoops I can now see a join  :cheesy:)
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Sun_Mosaic_March_29013.png

Carole