• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Net Ink

Started by Fay, May 25, 2010, 18:33:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

First time I have got what is supposed to be real Epson Ink, off internet. So far it is crap!!! Ruined a sheet of premium glossy, cleaned the nozzles about 10 times & there are still gaps in the colour!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

I have suffered using so-called Hewlett Packard ink which was also crap.
From experience, if you want good results and a cartridge that lasts, use a genuine cartridge.  I have wasted loads of money trying to save money.
I'll only ever use genuine cartridges
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Yes, I won't do it again Mick

Ian

fay, the danger with Epson printers is that the print heads are part of the printer, not the cartridge like HP ones. If they get blocked, it's off to Epson for repair.

Having said that, I've got an Epson photo printer that tends to get blocked due to underuse. I revive it by putting a small square of damp tissue paper in printer where the heads rest when it's powered off. This usually softens the ink enough to clear the jets.

I'm with Mick though, don't ever buy non-genuine Epson ink. HP, I've had success with Tescos carts, but if the head's rubbish, not a problem because it's changed with the next cart.

Except my new HP all in one that has 2 sets of carts - one are ink reservoirs, other set is print heads. But that's another story...

Mike

I stopped using Epson printers about 7 years ago as I was fed up with the heads getting clogged up. Sin ce then I have used a HP printer, and even if I don't use it for weeks or months, the first time I use it again it works perfectly. No need to do a head cleaning routine or anything. Like Ian says, the head is part of the printer with Epson so you always have the same print head. With most other print manufacturers the print head is part of the cartridge, so every time you get a new cartridge you get a brand new print head too. A far more sensible arrangement. Next time you need a new set of cartridges, look at the price of a new printer, as it will probably be a lot cheaper.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Well I never knew that about the print heads. But I have always been happy with  my Epson & always bought the same inks, they are a fortune now. If using the correct paper as well as ink, I get good colours.

Tony G

In this 'throw away society' if you look around it is sometimes cheaper to buy a new printer (which comes with both B/W and colour ink cartridges) than it is to buy just the cartridges.

Here is the printer (with both ink cartridges, but less ink than the refills, but..................)
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PRH-D1660&af=50

and here is the ink cartridges
http://www.moreinks.co.uk/HP_Deskjet_D1660/CC640EE_-_CC643EE.aspx?EComAID=GoogleBase

:-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Tony, you are right, never thought about it!
2 Epson inks are around £55, a new printer is not much more. Could have a loft full of old printers soon, just change it when the ink runs out!!!

Get a grip Tony!!!!! :lol: :lol:

MarkS

A loft full of useful stepper motors ...

mickw

Generally it's also better to get a printer with as many individual colour cartridges as possible (5 or more) for the best results for photos and economy.

Fay

So you buy the colours as they run out, not all at once like Epson?

mickw

Yep and you generally get better tones with the extra colours.

Standard colours are cyan, yellow, magenta
My printer also uses light cyan and light magenta.

Some printers also use shades of grey  :o

Mike

Fay that is eaxtly what I did... Went into PC World to get some new cartridges for my Epson Inkjet and realised I could get a whole new HP printer, with flatbed scanner/copier, for less than the cost of a set of ink. So I came out with that instead.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Fay,

I'll find you a bargain.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Fore more information on Inkjet Printers go HERE