• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M101 and SN from Kelling Heath

Started by Carole, Oct 01, 2011, 12:01:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Done over 3 nights as it was low and sinking.  Affected by the aurora on 26th as the images came out very red on the 2nd to 4th subs.

This is a difficult little sucker to nail as it's so faint, no chance at home - have tried before, so had to take the opportunity, especially while the SN is putting on a show.

All subs 5mins 800 ISO, Modified Canon 450D no filters
SW ED120, NEQ6 guided with PHD and QHY5
Slight crop as I didn't align the different nights up quite the same.
26-9-11 - 15 subs
27-9-11 - 6 subs
28-9-11 - 15 subs

Stacked the stacks in DSS and post processed in PS CS3
It's in the gallery if any-one wants a closer look, done with the new flattener  ;)

mickw

Nice one and it looks like the flattener's working
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

I think that your previous attempts were also marred by the heavy cropping that you were applying. This ones very good, I like it!
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

The stars look quite large - is this the full frame?

Carole

It's about 3/4 of the frame Robert, I did not line the different nights up well enough to use the full frame.

Carole

MarkS

Carole,

This is a very difficult target, especially with it being so low in the sky, amongst all the mush.  It's come out reasonably well though and the faint arms are beginning to appear.

The supernova is quite prominent - you need to mark it somehow.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, Phil and Robert.
QuoteThe supernova is quite prominent - you need to mark it somehow.
I don't want to Mark the original image mark, but I have a 2nd version with it marked on my website.
Does any-one know of a straight line marking tool in photoshop, I've tried them all (as far as I can see), so ended up doing a hand draw mark which is less than straight.

Carole

JohnP

Not the best image but you got the SN which is great - Well done - John