• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Noctilucent Clouds, Riberac, France

Started by MarkS, Jul 15, 2009, 07:46:42

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Last night (14 July) while waiting for the traditional Bastille Day firework display, I saw these noctilucent clouds.

Handheld 1 sec exposure (me leaning against a post) with Nikon D70 at ISO 800.

Riberac has approx latitude 45 deg.

Mark

[Edited 19 July to replace image]

Rick

Good shot! There might have been some here last night, but the wet stuff was in the way...

RobertM

Lovely picture Mark - I wondered why you were so quiet !

JohnP

Nice Mark - The clouds look green.... I hope you are enjoying that pool... :-)

John

Whitters

Ian

ooh, I didn't realise they had Noctilucent clouds in France!

How do you say "noctilucent clouds" in French anyway? You must have said something really good to get everyone looking away from you like that...

MarkS

These clouds were very bright - I was really pleased to see them - yet again, I was in the right place at the right time and with a camera  :)

The previous night we had the most amazing electrical storm and a huge area (including us) suffered a power cut.

Ian, I didn't know the "Nuages Nocturnes Lumineux" were this far South either!

John, weather is very hot and the pool is great!  But last night was the first night with a reasonable clear spell. Dunno why the clouds look green - maybe some kind of glare from the nearby lighting?

Mark

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Jul 15, 2009, 12:21:45
...Dunno why the clouds look green - maybe some kind of glare from the nearby lighting?.

I guess the same reason all of the people look yellow ;)

Nice shot Mark you jammy sod!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Mark I had a play in PS. I applied a type 82 blue cooling filter & set density to 50% (Image/ Adjustments/ Phot Filter) - It adjusted colours nicely - got rid of yellow in foreground & 'blued' up the sky.... Give it a try - John :-)

Ian

I thought French people were all that colour?

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

MarkS

None tonight, but I did take a close look at the sky.  At the same time as I took this photo the previous night, the sky did again go from blue to a greenish colour near the horizon.

Mike, I love those noctilucents over the Eiffel Tower on the link you posted.

Mark

Rick

Of course the 14th was the evening we had a blanket of low cloud over us. I wonder whether there were some good NLCs behind it... :/

MarkS

I've replaced the image to remove the greenish tint that resulted from a processing error.  Here's the new one: