• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moonwatch

Started by Oscar the Cat, Jul 04, 2006, 18:24:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar the Cat

Folks,
I'm still at work, I don't think I'm going to make the Moonwatch tonight. I hope you have clear skies.
Regards,
Paul

Mike

Erm... What happened to everyone?

Colin and I sat in the pub for ages and no-one arrived so we decided to go check out the field. Got there and the gate was still shut so we decided to go back to the pub in case people arrived late. We watched the whole of the Germany V Italy match before deciding to call it a night. It was a clear night too !!!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

We were at the pub and then at the field!!  Strange - maybe you were in a parallel universe!

Delphine

And visibility was impossible!!!

Mike

How could you have been at the field? We went to the gate at 2050 and the gate was shut and locked with the padlock. Did you close and lock the gate behind you ? We hung around for 15 mins and then went back to the pub ?!?!?!?!?

I rang Jeff on his mobile but he never answered.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

We must have been going in opposite directions at the same time.  

Rick went to the field first and opened up and the rest of us followed approximately 5 mins later.  I am not sure of the exact time but it was around 9 pm.

The gate was open all the time we were there but we left early i.e. approx 10.30 because visibility was bad.  None of us managed to do any observing.

I have had a thought!! - are we talking of the same field?  We were at High Elms.

P.S. We were wondering why you weren't there!

Rick

I think the Park staff may have locked it behind us, as I had to un-lock it when I left at about 21:15. They lock the gates at dusk, and we were setting up in the last bits of daylight...

Fay

So Oscar the Cat has blown his cover!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

That explains it then - The gate was locked and we presumed you were not there and as I was unable to contact Jeff we went back to the pub.