• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Picnic at Otford on Sunday 15th July

Started by Jim, Jul 12, 2012, 22:08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

The weather looks like it's going to be OK so hope to see as many as possible. Mike will be starting his walk at 12 from the car park, the picnic itself will be from 1pm onwards, make your own way to the solar system model across the playing field.

Sue

Fingers crossed for some sun! Expect some of the paths to Pluto will be very muddy as heavy clay in the valley.We had mega rain/hail/thunder this side of the downs over Wednesday evening/night.

Jim, I know missed the last meeting but it was announced that we would be meeting for the walk at 11 in the car park and the picnic would start at 12 and their are quite a lot of members who do not access this forum.

Jim

Hi Sue

I think Mike is starting the walk at 12, that's what he put in TOAST. Hopefully if anyone turns up earlier they'll hang around or phone someone. I'll be there about 1pm for the picnic but obviously people can get started earlier. Are you coming?

Sue

Yes Jim.  Me and Roy are going to the picnic and just me walking - I think. I am going to be at the car park a bit before 11 to meet anyone who only had information from the last meeting and not visited the website. Both Roy and I are sure that it was announced at the last meeting that that walk was to be from 11am and the picnic to start at 12.

Jim

Thanks Sue, at least the weather forecast is looking good!

Mike

Details from the website in case you missed it or haven't read TOAST yet:-

Summer Picnic on Mars   

Come and picnic on any planet in the Solar System! We will be having a summer picnic for Society members at the Millennium Solar System model in Otford on Sunday 15th July.

The weather looks like it's going to be OK so hope to see as many as possible.

The model is situated at the edge of the Sports ground in Otford village. Parking is easy. A public toilet is available and it is only a short walk of 200 yds to the picnic area.

The picnic will be held on the Recreation Field at 1pm. Bring your own food and drink.

If you are feeling energetic and want to find out a bit about the Solar System, then a walk around the entire model from Pluto, back to the Sun (to join the picnickers) will be taking place and led by Mike McRoberts. Meet up at the Car Park on the edge of the Sports Ground just off Otford High Street at 12:00 and we will walk to Pluto from there. You will then be guided from Pluto, back to the Sun, visiting each planet as we go and learning a little about them on the way. The walk will be at a leisurely pace and will take between 1 to 1.5 hours to complete. Bring decent walking boots as it may be muddy!

At the moment the forecast is looking really good for Sunday. However, with the rain today and overnight the ground will be a bit soggy so bring one of those picnic blankets with the plastic back or bring a tarpaulin to put your blanket on. Either that or just bring fold up seats.

Meet up at the car park before 12:00 for the walk. If you turn up late then make your way to Pluto (by Twitton Brook) across the field as we won't be waiting for you if you're late. Bring wellies or waterproof boots as the path to Pluto will undoubtedly be muddy. Don't forget to bring a change of footwear for the picnic later too.

Once we get to Pluto I will start a talk about the Solar System as we walk our way past all of the planets from Pluto back to the Sun at the centre where we will then join the other picnickers.

If you want my mobile number then send me a Personal Message here on the forum (click the bottom right icon underneath my picture to the left of this post) and I will give it to you.

See you tomorrow.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Sue

Thank you Mike for taking us round the solar system. Enjoyed the interesting facts, but distances still a bit mind blowing.

I think everyone who came, walkers and picnicers alike had a good time. I think it would be fun to do again, perhaps next year to provide another opportunity for members who couldn't make it this year.

Sue and Roy.

Fay

I would like to have come, as I have never been, but did not have the car today. Hope you all had a good time
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Kylee

Thanks from me too Mike. Really enjoyed the walk and it was really mind blowing trying to comprehend the sizes and distances involved our solar system. All finished off with a lovely afternoon chilling in the sun with lots of laughs.

See you all soon  ;)

Jim

A big thankyou to Mike for organising the walk and to Sue for getting there early as the times got mixed up. We all had a great day and a laugh and even managed some sunbathing!