• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Potential DSC Campsites

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 11:15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

QuoteCan I run my small fridge off it and charge my camera batteries

If there is no hook ups and Macs genny is taken, I would guess that other people will also want to use it and a refrigerator would be considered a low priority.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

There would be a lot of hours needed to charge all the batteries, anyway, see how you get on in June
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteI think the "Must" for electricity will end up biting us in the arse.

Not really.

If you have converted all of your setup to run on mains (Me + a few others), then a small inverter will allow you to run from a battery overnight.
OK I might need to invest in 2 batteries, one for the dew heaters and laptop, and one for all the other stuff.

As for the genny. As said earlier, The genny is available even if im not there. (pick up required).
There is also 100m of cable so a long extension is also available. (genny away from everyone!)

The only problem that you need to take into consideration is the noise.
Public campsite, Genny running all night (yes its quiet by genny standards.)
Genny running all day, probably not a problem, and its 2KW so will charge at least 1 battery  :cheesy: and probably 20ish. at a push. (assuming 100W charger)

It only takes 8 hrs to charge most car batteries from flat normally on trickle, even less with a fast charger.
And you probably wont totally flatten the battery imaging. (well most of us wont)

So order of prefference for the genny will probably be.

1) my kettle  ;) its only a 1kw,
2) Running the scopes.
3) Charging batteries.
4) Other. (microwave, dishwasher, Stereo, Plasma TV, heaters ect,ect)

Mac.

Tony G

But what will I do with my blow heater :o. It was so nice not to wake up with Icicles hanging from my nose, and a healthy glow to my shins.  :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

QuoteBut what will I do with my blow heater

Tony, stick a battery label on the side, or even telescope and move it up the pecking order,
Dont think anyone will notice. ;)

Failing that just label it as Mac's Kettle. Numero Uno.

Mac