• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Potential DSC Campsites

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 11:15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Quotetents pitching between the trees

There is more than one field
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Looks like just one to me Mick :-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=116836630893893363332.000486c7286a4f8f47927&ll=51.008503,0.611914&spn=0.003365,0.006346&z=18

But it is a huge field with part of it extending into the forest so you could camp in there if you wanted to.

There is also a pub and restaurant directly opposite the campsite entrance and the Kent & East Sussex Railway (steam) is literally next door.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

On their website they talk about a main field with pitches around the perimeter and a poncy area for tents in the trees.

The pics on the website seem to confirm this

Perhaps they are talking about the quirky bit bottom left (SW) in the trees

Mike

It is as I said. One main field with pitches around the perimeter and the field extends into the trees to give more secluded spots.

Pitches are cheaper than Blacklands per night inc. hookups by approx £2.50 per night.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

QuoteIt is as I said

Sorry, just read that line again - I got distracted by the word "pub" below  ;)

The Thing

Rother Valley looks good as long as the steam trains aren't puffing smoke and steam out while we're trying to image! Shame I can't go until the next official DSC.

mickw

Steam trains are posers, they won't be out at night when nobody can see them  ;)

Bit like me really  :oops:

Fay

Is it the field near the brewery?   Calm down Mick!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Quote from: Carole on May 18, 2010, 10:26:55
Rother Valley sounds good, but they talk about tents pitching between the trees. 

These don't look to bad, compared to Kelling Heath,

I think Julian would have to say that his pitch was ideally situated at Kelling Heath, and this was at the astronomy weekend recently.

:-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Julian moved his equipment to another field to image
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

I bet he didn't get a rebate, and paid the same tariff as people with pitches without the trees. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Quote from: Fay on May 18, 2010, 20:47:44
Is it the field near the brewery?   Calm down Mick!!!!

Look, you know I'm not supposed to have too much excitement  :-?

But yes, I think it is  :D

Carole

Only reason I mentioned tents pitching between the trees, is to make sure that is not where the tents are expected to go.  i.e. do we have a choice?
and where are the hook ups in relation to tents?

I can run the Astro stuff off the 12V, that's not my concern. My concern is my camping fridge as I am fed up with food going off.  The 12V lasts less than one night with the camping fridge, I've tried it, so I don't suppose Mac will be keen to run that off his Gennie.  

This does sound like a good possibility though.  

Carole

Mike

Carol you should get hold of a fridge that uses gas. My one can be plugged into 240v mains, 12v DC or calor gas.

MarkS

I take a picnic coolbox, half fill it with water then freeze it solid for a few days in a chest freezer.  Freezer packs are no good.

This keeps everything cool while camping for up to 4 days.  Oh, and cover it with a damp towel while camping - the water evaporation effect helps keep the outside cool.

Beer and wine can be kept cool in contact with the ground underneath the lilo - plus you'll never be short of something to drink during the night!

When we were young and went camping as a family (in farmers' fields) my dad used to dig a hole and seal it with a wooden lid plus the removed turf - this kept our food cool.  But modern campsites probably don't like you digging holes.

Mark