• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 2nd to 4th August - Blacklands

Started by Mike, Jul 22, 2013, 10:38:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Les R

Carole.... I managed to sort out live view. Haven't found the disc (I expect it's in the loft, but I'm sure I saw it quite recently.) Anyway, I phone canon and it's available for download. (I did look - but it comes under canon utilities, not specifically as live view.)

So hopefully the laptop will arrive in time tomorrow, but if not, I do at least have a fall back I can use.

But..... I'm struggling with some red perspex. I have something I can probably get away with, I'm not 100% sure.

Don't suppose anyone might have a red sheet for a 15.6" laptop or know where I can got one that I can get today or tomorrow without costing a fortune?

Carole

You can also use Red cellophane if you can find it as a temporary measure.

Les it's not the live view you need to download, it's the Canon Utility drivers otherwise your camera won't connect.

Don't know how you have managed to get live view to work without.

I've got a piece of red perspex (or at least it used to be one piece but now it's cut in half) which if you can manage to join it up the middle might be better than nothing and you'll have to cover up any bits it doesn't cover.  It measures 15" diagonally with the two bits put together.

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Aug 01, 2013, 16:03:16
You can also use Red cellophane if you can find it as a temporary measure.

Les it's not the live view you need to download, it's the Canon Utility drivers otherwise your camera won't connect.

Don't know how you have managed to get live view to work without.

I've got a piece of red perspex (or at least it used to be one piece now it's cut in half) which if you can manage to join it up the middle might be better than nothing and you'll have to cover up any bits it doesn't cover.  It measures 15" diagonally.

Carole

Yeh, it is canon utility. All I was saying was that I was just looking for a download called canon live. I've never had it working..... I never knew it was possible!

Yes please to cellophane. I do have something similar, but I'm not 100% certain.

Carole

It's perspex I've got Les, in two halves.  Bring some tape so you can stick it to your (new  :cheesy: :cheesy:) laptop or bring some splints or something 2 x 12" long (ish) to splint the two pieces together with tape. (i.e. some thin strips of metal or wood should do the trick, even very stiff cardboard.  

Now anything more and I'll have to start charging for hire!!!   :cheesy: :cheesy:  :lol: :lol:

Telescope,
spacers and flattener
Canon Utility discs??
Perspex
Solar filters

Carole

Carole

BTW Les, my long dovetail bar has arrived and so I'll be able to use the WO scope, so I'll bring the ED80 for you to borrow.

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Aug 01, 2013, 16:18:41
BTW Les, my long dovetail bar has arrived and so I'll be able to use the WO scope, so I'll bring the ED80 for you to borrow.

Carole

That's very much appreciated Carole.

With luck I've sorted the Perspex, though it's a bit flimsy. (it's a big sheet about 30" square that I will need to cut to size and possibly stick to a stronger clear Perspex then we're cooking.

Bahtinov is here in it's pizza box with its bolts to hold in place.

Canon utilities installed and live running.

I'm almost there with the holder for the solar filter. I've used the bottom of a bucket. It fits like a glove, but just need to work out how to cut a perfect circle in the bottom. I think it should end up very good though and zero chance it can fall off.

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Aug 01, 2013, 08:23:10
Carole - It's going to be a busy weekend so we will just have to go wherever there is a free spot. I would advise getting down as early as possible.

I can bring the communal shelter along as long as everyone is willing to chip in for the fee as Blacklands will charge.

What time is early?

I'm off for the day, so can arrive anytime...... But pointless getting there too early.

Mike

As early as you like Les. As far as I am aware Doug and Rose are already packed and are going to set off in the morning to secure a spot so go whenever you like and join them. It personally takes me no more than 50 mins to get to the camp site from Orpington and it's a very straightforward route down there. If you can beat the families that will no doubt ascend on the field then all the better.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

So who is coming?

Mike & Petra
Les and Son
Carole
Kylee
Rose and Doug
Ivor
Any-one else?

Carole

Ivor

Alas I can't now, I got dumped with something at work last night and I won't finish until it's too late. I hope you have a good weather and a lack of lights from the other campers.

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Aug 01, 2013, 22:44:55
As early as you like Les. As far as I am aware Doug and Rose are already packed and are going to set off in the morning to secure a spot so go whenever you like and join them. It personally takes me no more than 50 mins to get to the camp site from Orpington and it's a very straightforward route down there. If you can beat the families that will no doubt ascend on the field then all the better.

ok I will leave about midday.... but need to stop in edenbridge first....

in the meantime.... its thunder and lightening here!

Rick

Quote from: Les R on Aug 02, 2013, 07:23:14in the meantime.... its thunder and lightening here!

Yeah, www.blitzortung.org is showing a couple of lines of lightning over the south-east.

Mike

It will only be for the next hour or so then it will stop. Rest of the day will be cloudy. Tomorrow is forecast to be a nice sunny day with a clear night.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Quote from: Rick on Aug 02, 2013, 08:56:34
Quote from: Les R on Aug 02, 2013, 07:23:14in the meantime.... its thunder and lightening here!

Yeah, www.blitzortung.org is showing a couple of lines of lightning over the south-east.

Aaaaaaargghhhhhhhhhh  :o
Must unplug everything  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike