• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Taurus widefield

Started by RobertM, Dec 11, 2009, 16:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This another from Riberac earlier on when the conditions were pretty misty and before the streetlights were turned off.

This is a composite of 23 x 5 min frames taken with the unmodified EOS450D and a Pentax SMC 1.4:50 lens stopped down to F4.

Link to 2x2 binned version:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2553/4176959106_72143986f5_o.jpg

TFL

Mike

What were you doing in Riberac anyway?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Imaging with Mark, at least the sky was clear for one night.

Mac

Very nice wild field.

Are there dust lanes in the image, or processing artefacts.

Mac.

The Thing

RobertM

QuoteAre there dust lanes in the image, or processing artefacts

I know those on the left are so I'm kind of I'm assuming the rest are too.

MarkS

Very nice Robert - I'm glad that one came out well.

Mark

Fay

Really nice Robert, yes dust lanes are interesting.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Wow wide field, would be good 1x1 because the sampling does not look right 2x2, but early days with that camera so good effort :-)

Chris

RobertM

I binned it 2x2 for web display but I'll post the 1x1 too.

Edit: Here it is: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2770/4186130702_7fcfcce8e8_o.jpg

(Mergerd two posts and changed img to link in the interests of readers' bandwidth etc. -- Rick)

Daniel

Lovely Imaage Robert, those dark dust lanes are amazing, also loving the 8 pointed diffraction spikes your getting with the lenses your using.

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Oops sorry about posting the image rather than the link Rick.

Thanks Daniel.  I'd actually rather not have the spikes but there's nowt I can do about it.  I'm looking around for a lens that I could use wide open so if you know of one in the 40-60mm bracket then do let me know.

MarkS

If you want to prevent spikes, could you stop down the lens by placing a a circular cut out on the front of the lens - e.g a big metal washer.

It would certainly be good to have a 50mm F1.8 lens with pin-sharp stars from corner to corner, fully open.  But I fear that either they don't exist or they would be prohibitively expensive.

Mark

Ian

why would you want to prevent spikes? I thought we all rather liked them....

:boom:

Now, where's that thread lock button...

Rick

Quote from: Ian on Dec 17, 2009, 09:04:23why would you want to prevent spikes? I thought we all rather liked them....

:boom: Nothing wrong with them, so long as they're not fake. :boom:

Quote from: Ian on Dec 17, 2009, 09:04:23Now, where's that thread lock button...
Down the bottom of the page. ;)