• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Trip to the National Space Centre - Sat 25th April 2015

Started by Kenny, Nov 14, 2014, 02:02:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Sorry not interrested.  Leicester is a very difficult city to navigate and I think it would take too much time away from the Space Centre.  But that is just me I am probably in the minority!
Delphine

Kenny

I think it's a possibility logistically if there is support. The site is 10 minutes drive away. Suspect the best we will be able to do is a drive by (camera) shooting. Logistically, if the traffic is kind to us, we have up to 4 1/2 hours at the Space Centre. The committee were discussing this probably being too long and keeping open the option to leave earlier than 3pm. I would also need to agree it with the coach company.

Rachel - As the sponsor of this detour, would you volunteer to confirm precisely where we would want to go and also be willing to do a short talk/presentation on the coach about Richard III and his remains, perhaps en route from the Space Centre to the burial site?

Kenny

p.s. I think he's scheduled to be reburied at Leicester Cathedral mid-late March.

Rick

It's going to be a long day as it is. Any extra excursion would either cut into time we can spend at the Space Centre, or make a long day even longer, or quite possibly both.

Mike

I agree I think it would be a waste of time just to go look at a car park. It's all been filled in as far as i'm aware.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

ApophisAstros

RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

doug

I think it is just the car park now .... they moved his remains somewhere else. So let`s not extend the day for no definite reason.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

There is an exhibition close by but it isn't at all related to astronomy.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

If there is no longer anything to see in the car park then no point in making a detour.

Carole

Kenny

It's worth pointing out that while the carpark will undoubtedly have been returned to its original state and function, perhaps with a plaque commemorating the historical significance of the site, it is next door to Leicester Cathedral where, by the time we get there, the body will be interred.

Although not of any astronomical interest, it sounds like there is some mixed historical interest while we are in the vicinity.

The challenges would be parking and timing.

MarkH

OK after a bit of investigation there is nothing to see at the car park , there is a small visitor centre a few doors away. This is located on a very narrow side street with nowhere for a coach to stop. I think it would be practically almost impossible.

Rick

The day is already going to be long. The coach will have to find somewhere to park in Leicester, and it will have to be either when we're on our way in, thus delaying our arrival at the Space Centre (bad), or when we're on our way out. It'll either make the day longer (bad), or take time away from our visit to the Space Centre (bad), or both...

Kenny

Carole

QuoteMinor tweak to the Itinary.
So what does that mean Kenny?

Carole

Kenny

Quote from: Kenny on Nov 14, 2014, 02:02:01
Itinerary:

• Orpington Train Station: 7:15am for 7:30am departure.
  • Arrival at NSC: 10:30am.
  • Group Talk: 11:30am - 12:00pm.
  • Planetarium: 2:30pm - Back to the Moon for good.
  • Departure: 3:00pm.
This bit.