• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

m51 - LRGB

Started by JohnP, Mar 14, 2007, 15:58:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

I decided I wanted to try & get a colour m51. My mount has been playing up lately but last night seemed to be behaving itself so I managed to capture approx 50 x 1min exposures + 8 x 1.5min exposures for L & then 8 x 1.5mins each for RGB. I should have taken a lot more RGB but I can always add more colour at a later stage. All images taken with my £100 SC3 webcam (a bit noisy but not too bad) at prime of my MN56 on LXD75mount. I used another modified webcam & my ZS66 (piggybacked) for guiding. I've attached two images - first is the colour LRGB & 2nd is just the L - which also shows a couple of faint galaxies which I have annotated (yes I know you have to look closely but believe me they are there.... :-) )

Anyway - quite a lot of effort went into getting/ processing this so reasonably pleased - It would have been a lot better at Tuesnoad (assuming clear skies).

Hope you like - John.

Rocket Pooch

Excellent John, if we do get clar skies I look forward to having a go at this as well.  But for the amount of cash you have spent on the kit that is fantastic, Mike, Paul and I would have to pull out something spectacular to beat that with our very expensive kit.

JohnP

Cheers Chris - I must admit I was chuffed with outcome but still think I could do better if I did longer RGB. Other than that I think I'm fairly well at the limit of the SC3 - I'm sure all you guys (& gals) with 16-bit cooled camera's could do a lot better- the result is fairly mediocre compared to some I see on the various forums.

Thks again,  John.

Tony G

John,
Seems like the equipment was working well for both of us, as that image is excellent.
Hopefully you can get some good imaging done at DSC if you're going, and the skies are clear.
Keep it up John and speak to you soon.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Tony - I must admit it is great when it all works... :-) Not sure about DSC - I hope I can make it. I'm home alone at the moment (no wife) looking after 3 of the kids - Teresa should be back on Sat so fingers crossed I hope to get down sometime - If not to camp at least to say hello & have a chat..

Thks,  John

Fay

John,

having another look at M51, it is a damb good image, dont know if I should put my one on now!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Fay - Please post your image - it doesn't matter if mine is better or worse the important thing is that you took the image & learn from it. This hobby is all about learning that's what makes it such fun - always something new to learn. My big problem now is that I can only do 100 secs subs cause of guiding issues with my mount... now if only I could do 10 mins........ :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing your image,

John

Whitters

Lovely H2 regions showing up there John

JohnP

Thks Paul - I was pretty pleased with this - John