• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon 350D Peltier Mod

Started by MarkS, Oct 25, 2009, 16:47:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Mac,

Yours are Desi Paks : http://www.sphinxadsorbents.com/desipak1.htm

They contain clay (not silica gel) and Mike was right - they can be reactivated in an oven:
http://www.agmcontainer.com/desiccantcity/pdfs/reactivation_GDT2.PDF

Mark

Mac

QuoteThey contain clay (not silica gel) and Mike was right - they can be reactivated in an oven:

excellent, that'll save a few quid.

MarkS

Project is now finished apart from sealing the camera body in plastic bag containing dessicant.  I settled on a single thickness of copper (instead of 3) because it was getting rather heavy.

A couple of final images:

Graph of the pixel standard deviation for successive 5 minute dark frames - experiment conducted at room temperature and the Peltier was switched on directly after frame 21:

Here's a comparison of the above frames plus a comparison with a 1/4000sec bias frame:

Mark

Fay

Wow Mark, that is amazing!! How well you have done
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

How will you support the extra weight?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

The added copper pipe plus heatsink and fan doubles the weight from around 1 pound to 2 pounds.  I'm hoping that this won't be a problem for the scopes.

Mark

mickw

With an extra 1lb hanging out the side, you might find the camera will try and rotate.
Perhaps a support from the dovetail supporting the heat sink or could you set up the camera with the heat sink down and straighten things up in processing ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Looks excellent Mark - I am really looking forward to first light - If performance graphs are anything to go by it should be excellent. I hope condensation isn't an issue...

John

Ian

Mark, I agree with Mick, the one big fault with my Art285 is the shape of the case. Off axis loading is a pain in the ***. It can unscrew adapters, cause alignment issues and give you something else to worry about when making sure all the screws are tight...

I'd try and use it vertically if you can.

MarkS

Mick, Ian,

Off-axis loading is something I hadn't really thought about.  It won't be a problem on the heavy C11 but it might be an issue with the ED80 I suppose.

If it becomes a problem I'll simply(?) re-site the Peltier onto the rear of the camera, which is inconvenient because I won't be able to use the viewfinder or rear LCD.

Mark

Ian

Even on the C11 it'll try and unscrew your t-ring. Upside down, or vertically, it won't though...

MarkS

I've now weighed this properly.

The mod takes the camera from 600g to 850g so the torque problem is nowhere near as bad as first appeared.

Mark

The Thing

Now it looks like I will have two 350Ds (when No1 is fixed) I will have to have a go at this, along with the Ha mod. I might need your help Mark.

mickw

Mark, wasn't the original intention to remove the CF holder and take the heat sink through the slot ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional